As we prepare for our BRIK session (starts September 3rd!), I thought I’d share my personal shopping list with you!
First, I’ve listed some of my kitchen staples that help me prepare most dishes. Next is my weekly shopping list. I try to get as much produce from farmer’s markets or other local sources, but rely on Trader Joe’s, Costco and Raley’s for the rest. It’s always best to buy Organic and make sure to read your labels (the less ingredients the better)!!
Things that are always in my kitchen:
- Coconut oil spray (Trader Joe’s)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fresh ground pepper (mill)
- Sea salt
- Minced garlic
- Chili flakes
- Almond flour (Trader Joe’s)
Weekly shopping list:
- Cage free, organic eggs
- Dried & pitted dates
- Unsweetened applesauce cups (Costco)
- Fresh berries
- Frozen berries (Costco)
- Almond milk (plain, unsweetened)
- Coconut milk (plain, unsweetened)
- Spaghetti Squash
- Mixed greens
- Zucchini and assorted squashes
- Bell peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Lean ground turkey
- Tomato sauce (plain, unsalted)
- Wild caught Mahi Mahi (Trader Joe’s)
- Iceberg lettuce
- Fresh corn
- Peanut or almond butter
What do I do with all of this stuff?! Here are my go-to meals & snacks:
- Smoothies made with frozen berries, almond or coconut milk, and spinach
- Egg scrambles packed with veggies
- Banana pancake: Two eggs, one banana, cinnamon… Combine and cook like a pancake! Top with fresh fruit!
- Mixed green salad with tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, shaved almonds, olive oil, vinegar
- Leftovers from dinner (below!)
- Spaghetti squash with browned ground turkey, tomato sauce, spices
- Fish “tacos”- Mahi Mahi, fresh corn, cherry tomatoes, avocado, iceberg lettuce ‘taco shells’
- Bell peppers & hummus
- Banana & peanut/almond butter
- Protein balls: Chop up dates, blend with almond flour, & peanut butter
- Dried fruit
- Trail mix or nuts
How to be successful at healthy eating:
- Food prep! This is a must. Plan your meals and prep everything for the week on Sunday.
- Smoothies! Get your day started with a smoothie- packed with greens, fruit, and almond milk.
- Drink TONS of water.
- Just say NO! Don’t let peer pressure or your less healthy friends bring you down! Stay strong.
- Pack snacks. Fight temptation by being a step ahead of the game! Trail mix, dried fruit, and fresh veggies can be lifesavers!
- Fight the sweet tooth with hot tea or toothpaste! A nice herbal tea or a minty toothbrushing session will often get rid of that sweet tooth craving. If that doesn’t cut it, have some fresh fruit!
Share some of your go-to meals & snacks or how you have been successful at healthy eating in comments!