If you have ONE glass of red wine, 4 nights a week… You will consume an extra 15,360 calories in a year.
But, that’s not why we’re challenging you to no alcohol this week. Although alcohol, wine and beer can certainly be high in calories and sugar, the challenge is more about awareness. Like our previous 3 challenges, the real question is, DO YOU NEED IT? And, CAN YOU GO WITHOUT IT?
Challenge yourself to a week free of alcohol consumption. Try sparkling water with lime or orange in it to help curb cravings. Pay attention to how you feel without it and see if you eat better when you’re not a drink or two in!
On a more serious note, here is the list by the CDC on long-term effects from excessive drinking:
“Over time, excessive alcohol use can lead to the development of chronic diseases, neurological impairments and social problems. These include but are not limited to—
- Neurological problems, including dementia, stroke and neuropathy.
- Cardiovascular problems, including myocardial infarction, cardiomyopathy, atrial fibrillation and hypertension.
- Psychiatric problems, including depression, anxiety, and suicide.
- Social problems, including unemployment, lost productivity, and family problems.
- Cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, liver, colon, and breast. In general, the risk of cancer increases with increasing amounts of alcohol.
- Liver diseases
- Other gastrointestinal problems, including pancreatitis and gastritis.”
After this challenge, continue to make smart choices and live in moderation!