Aisles and shelves of choices. Websites and articles full of suggestions. WHAT TO BUY? WHAT TO EAT? HOW MUCH TO MAKE?
I know it can be overwhelming. Regular exercise is great, but you will only see the results you want by adding in proper nutrition. The Kaia Commandments are an awesome guide and can be found in detail in your upcoming BRIK manual.
For a bit of a head start, here they are in my own words, each with some tips of how I’ve personally implemented them in my life.
THE KAIA COMMANDMENTS
1. Follow the 10 Commandments! They only work if you give them a chance to.
2. WATER. This is a big one with me. You should never feel thirsty- that means you’re dehydrated! Constantly drink water- shoot for 80-100 oz. per day, more when you’re training. If you know that drinking enough water is hard for you, try keeping a water log!
3. Eat dinner before 6:00pm & not past 7:00pm. This one is really hard for me, especially because I work nights. When it’s not possible for me to eat this early, I try to at least make my late dinner a light one. Try salad, veggies and smoothies!
4. Eat 30 to 35 Grams of Fiber a Day. Fiber is essential to weight-loss and good digestion. It’s hard to get if you’re not paying special attention to it. I get it mostly by beans and dark greens but I also use fiber powder (bought it at a vitamin store) to add to smoothies and cereal.
5. No or Little Alcohol. If this freaks you out, you’re not alone. But also think about why it freaks you out. Is it because it’s a daily habit, something you’re used to (like drinking coffee)? Or is it something you enjoy doing socially or to unwind? A cocktail or glass of wine can be nice at the end of the day, but be sure to LIMIT it. Try only drinking once a week, or only having one drink at a time. There is a lot of sugar in wine and mixers and a ton of carbs in beer. Think about what you’re drinking!
6. Sugar is the devil! Fat doesn’t come from fat. It comes from sugar. Try not to eat anything over 9 grams of sugar. This is a fantastic number to get in your head- read labels and commit to staying under 9g!!
7. No White Stuff! Chances are, if it’s white, it’s been bleached. This means it has been stripped of many natural (and good for you) ingredients. Skip the white sugar (and fake sugar), white bread, white pasta and white rice. In my opinion, limit these starchy carbs in general. You will feel less bloated and will be amazed how quickly you see results on the scale.
8. Never Skip Meals. You don’t lose weight by not eating! You lose weight by eating A LOT OF THE RIGHT STUFF. Think fast metabolism! Eat a lot of healthy small meals and snacks. You shouldn’t ever feel like you’re starving yourself to lose pounds- this won’t work in the long run, I promise!
9. Cut the Crap…No Artificial or Processed Anything! Try a week of eating nothing with more than 5 ingredients. It’s amazing how much crap they put in our food. Try eating mostly fresh, raw foods or making things at home. The more stuff that’s in it, the harder it is for your body to process.
10. Eat Unlimited Veggies! The darker they are the better. Also, stay away from starchy root vegetables (potatoes, for example). You will feel FULL and CLEAN when you eat healthy veggies.
Always feel free to ask me or any other coach for tips on healthy eating, daily habits and proper nutrition. It’s essential!!