Why we LOVE smoothies! by Coach Kelly
They’re all over Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest! You’ve seen pictures and recipes galore, you’ve participated in or learned about the Smoothie in a Box promo complete with Vitamix give away, you’ve hopefully tried a few new smoothie recipes at home too, but have you ever really thought about WHY we smoothie? There’s a reason we “Drink a Green Smoothie EVERYDAY” – because healthy smoothies are packed FULL of raw fruits and veggies!
Smoothies can be a great way to quickly, and with little prep, get a ton of the vitamins, nutrients, minerals and fiber we need to keep up going for the day, all without having to munch and crunch on greens for HOURS. Maybe if you’re Popeye, eating 3c spinach, 1c kale and 1/2 a cucumber all before 8am might not be too difficult, so for Kaia girls, the green smoothie is OUR secret weapon!
Drinking a big green smoothie every morning is great for your digestive system because they are high in fiber, which really gets things going and will keep you regular. With a smoothie what you put in the blender is what you get out, as compared to juicing where all that awesome fiber is taken out. So unless you’re somehow reincorporating it into your meal for the day it’s going to waste. We want more than 35g (40g would be great!) of fiber a day.
While smoothies can be super healthy they can also be just as sugary and calorie dense as a milkshake. 2tbs peanut butter, a banana and 2c almond milk add up fast! Know your numbers- if trying a new recipe log your anticipated ingredients and portions before unknowingly whipping up a 600 cal smoothie. Here are some quick tips to keep your smoothie delicious and nutritious:
1. Start with 2-4 cups of raw leafy greens- spinach, kale, beet, dandelion, mustard and collard greens.
2. Add in fruit (in moderation) for taste and as a natural sweetener like berries, citrus, a banana (or 1/2), peach, apple, mango, pineapple, avocado and other veggies like cucumber, beets, celery and carrots.
3. Bring on the FLAVOR with ingredients that offer additional benefits! – ginger, cinnamon, maca, matcha, cayenne, cocoa, any other spices or herbs. If you’re craving Peanut Butter try PB2. It’s a powdered pb with lower saturated fat and calories.
4. Liquids to preferred consistency – Water, almond or coconut milk, brewed teas (my favorites are green, chai and black), coffee, aloe juice are all great. Stay away from juices, anything concentrated or with added sugar.
5. Give it an added BOOST of fiber, protein and healthy fats to keep you full and flowing :) Chia seeds, hemp hearts, ground flax, psyllium husk powder, nuts, and raw coconut flakes are all great choices.
Whip it! Whip it real good. When I have early mornings, I set myself up for success by prepping the chilled ingredients in the fridge the night before and then add in my dry and liquid ingredients in the morning, then I just have to blend it up, pour it in my favorite cup or jar and I’m out the door!
Keep posting your favorite smoothie recipes and post the nutritional details too! Happy Blending!!